FnG Peach Scones
Makes 12-14 scones
Equipment: Measuring Utensils, Mixing Bowls, Sifter, Spatula, Grater, Baking Sheet Pan, 3” cookie/biscuit cutter or PVC mold, Zester if needed for Citrus
1 cup Fresh Berries (Blueberry, Cranberry, or diced fruit)
1 cup (½ pound) Unsalted Butter, grated
3 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
1 cup Granulated Sugar
¾ tblspn Baking Powder
1 ½ tspns Baking Soda
1 ½ tspns Kosher Salt
2 tblspns Vanilla Extract
¾ cup Buttermilk
¼ cup Turbinado/Raw Sugar
2 tblspn Citrus Zest (optional per flavors)
1) About 2 hours before baking, spread fruit on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer. Place Butter in the freezer for 2 hours.
2) Double Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and granulated sugar in a metal mixing bowl. Place in the freezer for one hour.
3) Place oven rack in the middle of the oven and pre-heat to 375°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
4) Using a cheese grater, grate the frozen butter and add it to the chilled dry ingredients until the butter pieces look like the size of peas or small pellets. Make a well in the center. Combine buttermilk and vanilla extract in a separate bowl and pour the mixture in to the well. Mix the ingredients with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula to form shaggy dough. Add frozen fruit and salt. Gently combine to avoid crushing. Add Citrus Zest if using.
5) To shape scones:
a) Place a 3” cookie/biscuit cutter or PVC mold on the parchment covered sheet pan. Take a hand full of the batter and press it in to the ring. Pull ring off leaving scone on the pan. Repeat the process until the sheet pan is full leaving 2” between scones.
b) Sprinkle the tops of scones with turbinado/raw sugar.
7) Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown on the outside but tender inside.
Transfer to a cooling rack and let them sit for at least 10 minutes before serving.